Who's Online
Spread the Word
Site Contributions

Cast your vote!
No poll is currently assigned to this widget.

Art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Host of the Silver Star Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasimir_Katarn
Tinkerer of Games

re: Halloween

It's almost Halloween and I decided to do a drawing to commemorate this time of year - the season of fear!

Nazgul

A mixed-media drawing of the Nazgul (Ringwraith from The Lord of the Rings). I was inspired to do this after seeing the movies again and because the Nazgul are pretty scary! I figured it would be a good drawing to commemorate Halloween this year. I finished this in a day, but it was a huge chunk of the day constantly working. I'd say about 8 hours. I listened to the movie soundtracks cued for the wraiths to keep me working. Most of the drawing is done with only two fat, charcoal sticks. I used HB for the initial contours and 6B for the armored hands and dagger, as well as to fill in the gaps that the charcoal sticks couldn't fill in. To fill in the empty space around him I used the charcoal sticks and a paper napkin as a chamois! Sadly a good quarter of the drawing was cut out on the left because of my small scanner. From now on I think I'll make a frame and work in a smaller space to avoid this issue in the future. Still, despite the issues and time consumption, this was one of the most fun drawings I've done in awhile.

EDIT: By the way Guth, I haven't forgotten you, I've just got artists' block when it comes to Guthmyr. I'm looking around for inspiration, plus you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a good reference of Chris Hemsworth as well as Rohirrim armor. I made a few sketches of him in action but none of them came out right. I promise I'll have something for you eventually!

"The real Revan wouldn't go crazy and kill the Emperor with an insane ceremony. The real Revan would get smashed on stims until his eyeballs bled, abuse the insane pathing AI, and reload the instant something went wrong. He would be unstoppable." - Excise, SWTOR Forums
Kasimir_Katarn
Tinkerer of Games

re: Art

Okay, I'll get on it soon. Glad to know you're still around, by the way. Depending on my schedule, should be done in 1-2 weeks.

EDIT: Sorry, it's going to take me a little longer than I expected to draw Guth. Just been busy lately, but I won't forget about it.

"The real Revan wouldn't go crazy and kill the Emperor with an insane ceremony. The real Revan would get smashed on stims until his eyeballs bled, abuse the insane pathing AI, and reload the instant something went wrong. He would be unstoppable." - Excise, SWTOR Forums
Guthmyr
Nooblet

Arelaith wrote:
Sure, I'll draw Guth. Any particular requests or details? Full figure or portrait only? Partial figure? Scars, baubles, brooches, etc.? And if I remember correctly, you said Guth could only be portrayed by Chris Hemsworth.

Partial figure would be awesome! He's got a scar going down his right eye, and his cloak is clasped with a Rohirric bauble. (Generally wears movie style Rohan armor.) And, yes, Chris Hemsworth all the way.

Sure, I'll draw Guth. Any particular requests or details? Full figure or portrait only? Partial figure? Scars, baubles, brooches, etc.? And if I remember correctly, you said Guth could only be portrayed by Chris Hemsworth.

Guthmyr
Nooblet

Wow, this is really awesome, man! You should draw up Guthmyr sometime, if you get the chance.

Miss all of you!

Drew one of Artemieth and Cardaith before I drew the one of Orendir. Just posting it afterward.

Forum Image

I promised Artemieth's player that I would draw her character a year or two ago. Well, better late than never, right? I decided to throw in Arelaith as well, since the characters were so close, but while drawing him, he turned out to be Cardaith instead somehow during the drawing. Works out either way, I guess.

I used a reference photo for the poses and Artemieth's facial features, but everything else is original, which I'm actually slightly impressed with, since I'm usually not able to draw without references.

It was really tough getting in the detailed facial features with fat charcoal sticks. I would much rather have charcoal pencils for details, since the sticks are so blunt and imprecise, but I gotta make do with what I got.

Cardaith is slightly too tall, and I forgot to actually draw his sword in the sheath. I think he's carrying an axe in his left hand, but I'm not sure.

Kasimir_Katarn
Tinkerer of Games

Does anyone check this thing anymore? Says Faynir posted something 19 days ago. I posted on the BLOTD site too, just in case. Anyway, this is like a year too late, but I finally drew a picture of Orendir. I'll get to drawing others when I have the time over the next few days/weeks.

Forum Image

I don't like that my scanner makes a big bright spot in the middle of the paper, it means I have to compensate with an artificial darkening filter or actually draw the picture darker than I would like.

This is my first drawing on proper paper, the last three I posted were on newsprint (which I used to get an older-feeling texture for the medieval themes).

I also got fixative for the first time, so I got excited and sprayed it all over the damn thing, giddy that I wouldn't have to be paranoid over the drawing smudging and being ruined over time. Of course in my excitement I failed to notice I made a mistake and drew the irises/pupils of Orendir much, much too big, but now I'm stuck with it.

I tried editing it in the photobucket editor, but the whitening effect doesn't do much unless I layer it, and layering it makes it seize up and unable to save. I tried saving and doing it multiple times, but that apparently doesn't work, so I'm stuck with what I got. Sorry, Orendir, this is the best I could do for now. Maybe I'll go back and try to make you a better one.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Host of the Silver Star Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 1330days ago0 Replies
 1341days ago6 Replies
 1347days ago0 Replies